Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thrifty Gifting Part 1: Baby Sweater Boots.

Total Cost: $0, plus fabric I had on hand.

I absolutely love giving gifts. However, my husband has been laid off for almost two years now. Needless to say, we don't have a lot of cash after we pay our bills, but I didn't want that to stop me from giving thoughtful gifts that the recipients will (hopefully) use.

Personally, I love handmade gifts because they take a lot of time and thought. I'm hoping the people on my Christmas list feel the same way! The first thrifty gift I made was inspired by this photo I saw on pinterest.
This pattern is on sale at I Think Sew for a pretty decent price, but as I am trying to keep costs down I decided to make my own pattern. Hopefully, I can perfect it and post it here someday. From the photos, it appears that the sleeves of a suit coat were used to make the boot tops. I wanted my baby boots to be sweater boots, so I figured why not use the sleeve from an old sweater? This one to be exact:
Rescued just in time from my trusty "to donate" box. Lately I've been feeling the grey and yellow, so I had a few coordinating fabrics to choose from for my boot liners.





Once I chose my color, I constructed the liners and outers separately, and then attached them at the toes and the "rims" of the boot tops. I wanted a bit more color, so I rolled the outer boot top down a half inch and let the liners show out the top. A couple of yoyos (tutorial here) in contrasting colors made a great embellishment.
Bonus: Little Z was more than happy to be my chunky baby leg model.
Finished baby sweater boots: may be coming to a Christmas tree near you!

I had a lot of sweater left, so I made a second pair for my Etsy shop. I can't wait to try this pattern out with my old worksuit coats.





No comments:

Post a Comment